Slow Roast Shoulder of Lamb
This one-pot dish uses whole shoulder of lambÂ spread with a herb butter then slow cooked for 4 hours with the addition of lamb stock, red onions, celery and butternut squash or until the meat falls away from the bone.
- 1.8kg/4lb lean whole shoulder of lamb
- For the Herb Butter:
- 50g/2oz unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped rosemary leaves
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- For the Vegetables:
- 5 small red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 4 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 600ml/1pint good, hot lamb stock
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
Instructions:Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170Â°C, 325Â°F.
Prepare the herb butter; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together.
Put the onions and celery in the base of a 2.8L/5pint flame/heatproof dish or roasting tin.
Put the lamb on a chopping board and lightly score the surface with a sharp knife.
Spread the herb butter over the joint and place on top of the vegetables, pour over the stock, cover with foil and transfer to the oven for 3.5 hours. Remove the foil, add the butternut squash, return to the oven and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
Transfer the lamb and vegetables to a large platter and keep warm. Skim the fat from the dish leaving behind the meat juices.
Serve the lamb with the vegetables, meat juices and creamy mash.
Images courtesy of AHDB. www.simplybeefandlamb.co.uk
Print View Download PDF
Browse our selection of mouth watering recipes. The Q Guild recipe section will inspire you to try something new today.
Select a Month: