Owen Taylor & Sons, Alfreton
“We also like to enter regional business competitions. This year we entered the Midlands Family Business Awards where we won the Manufacturing Excellence award and achieved highly commended in the Corporate Social Responsibility Award. The awards night was a good networking opportunity with a celebration but it’s the application and the 4 person interview panel that gets you thinking”, says Carl Evans , Operations Manager
We are looking forward to taking part in competitions again in 2019. If I have any advice for anyone entering a competition it is simply this – maximise the whole value of the competition.
• For product competitions look at the judges remarks with a view to improve them
• Look at the competition and speak with the entrants to give you new ideas
• Make sure your staff are involved in producing the products and celebrate success with them
• Use social media before and after the competition
• Write your own press release and send it to your local paper
• Have fun!